Private Link For Robert Townsend
"In my music I try to put across a message about being authentic and honest.” “I know a lot of music talks about heartbreak, as in having a heart broken, but I wanted to explore what it feels like to break someone’s heart too, because there are lessons in there for all of us that teach us how to treat people; how to learn, share, and grow; how to be understanding of others; how to forgive and also how to be forgiven." - Andra Day
Take one look at Andra Day, with her saucy rockabilly-inspired look (she routinely rocks a bouffant and red-stained lip) and you know you’re in the presence of a unique individual. The San Diego-bred singer and songwriter’s eye-catching personal style complements her brassy, yet alluring voice, as well as her music, which is both groovy and bluesy. “I call it retro-pop-soul,” she says. “It’s a blend of jazz, soul, doo-wop, plus a little bit of rock, and a little bit of hip-hop on the underbelly.”
Day says her influences come not only from the Motown records, her father loved and the rock artists her mom favored, but also the jazz, doo-wop, and blues she was exposed to while attending the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts. ”During those years I fell in love with Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Etta James, Lauryn Hill, and Janis Joplin,” she says. “Women with big voices who can really communicate the emotion they’re feeling when they sing. One of my favorite songs by Billie Holiday is ‘You Let Me Down’ because it's so true. You can practically hear her crying on the record.”
After graduating from SDCP, Day began working with various producers and performing live. Stevie Wonder’s wife stumbled across one of her performances which she shared for Wonder. The R&B legend called Day and said he’d love to work with her, a moment Day describes as “surreal.” Though the timing didn’t work out, Wonder introduced her to singer-songwriter/producer and hard rock pioneer Adrian Gurvitz (The Gun, Stevie Wonder, The Bodyguard soundtrack) who signed her to Buskin Records and they have been writing and recording for the past year. “Adrian has been in the music industry for decades and has worked with everyone from Jimi Hendrix to Whitney Houston,” Day says. “He brings experience and depth to the music and gives it a timeless feel.”
After holing up for eight months and writing an album’s worth of songs, Day and Buskin decided to post a series of covers on YouTube and see how the public would respond to her sound. Day’s jazzy, soulful takes on Muse’s “Uprising” and Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” were so well-received that a buzz began to build. Ellen DeGeneres called and offered to help the singer get recognized. It wasn’t long before a bidding war erupted between record labels. Everyone wanted to sign the statuesque beauty with the unforgettably angelic voice.
Day is now signed to Warner Bros. Records through Buskin’ Records, which will release her debut album early next year. Adorning her siren sound with uncompromising poetry, Day writes about the mistakes she’s made and the heartbreak she’s both caused and experienced. “They lyrics highlight the lessons I’ve learned,” she says. "My goal is to speak the truth,” she says. “It sets you free.”
Budlight Lime Commercial "Switch On Summer" Campaign - Featuring "Coolin' In The Streets"
Glamour Magazine Exclusive: Performing "Rearview"
Andra Day Summer Sessions Full Performance
Andra Day Summer Sessions JBL Interview
- Singersroom.com review - 8/25/13 - http://singersroom.com/content/2013-10-25/Andra-Day-Stuns-with-Red-Flag-For-Verses-Flow/
- Amalgamation.com review - 8/25/13 -http://www.amalgamationmag.com/website/amalgamated/discovering-retro-soul-singer-andra-day/
- RollingStone.com Q&A - 8/16/13 - http://www.rollingstone.co.za/musicrev/item/2710-q-a-youtube-phenomenon-andra-day-william-welfare
- DJBooth.net single review - 8/12/13 - http://www.djbooth.net/index/tracks/review/andra-day-coolin-in-the-streets
- Glamour Magazine style feature - August 2013 - http://www.glamour.com/fashion/2013/07/denim-outfit-ideas-modeled-by-grimes-fitz-and-the-tantrums-wild-belle-deap-valley-and-andra-day#slide=5
- Glamour.com Q&A - 7/9/2013 - http://www.glamour.com/entertainment/blogs/obsessed/2013/07/youtube-sensation-andra-day-cr.html
- JBL "Summer Sessions" feature, 7.8.13 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6i3oRdiIf4
- Fault Magazine feature -January 2013 - http://fault-magazine.com/2013/01/andra-day-for-fault-13-exclusive-first-ever-print-magazine-feature/
- PopGoesTheWeek.com "Pop Interview" - 12/21/12 - http://popgoestheweek.com/2012/12/pop-interview-thanks-to-youtube-and-immense-talent-vocal-powerhouse-andra-day-signed-a-record-deal-hear-what-everyone-will-be-raving-about/
- GlobalGrind.com Q&A - 12/7/12 - http://globalgrind.com/music/andra-day-youtube-star-music-it-girl-stevie-wonder-interview
I had the honor of booking Andra Day for the 13th annual The 24 Hour Plays on Broadway. There are not enough words to describe Andra's incomparable vocal talent, singular arrangements and larger than life stage presence. She brought the house down and the audience to their feet with every song. Andra infused the show with a rare element and new dynamism. - Anna Strout (Urban Arts)